Monday 1 October 2012

Returning to exercise post baby


I’m going to publically announce my weight. The reason for doing this is twofold. Firstly I want a record of where I’ve come from when I get to my goal weight and my first fitness goal. Secondly, having almost reached my pre-first pregnancy weight prior to my most recent pregnancy I want you to know it can be done. In November last year, 2011, I got down to 75kgs which was 2kgs off my pre-pregnancy weight of my first child in 2005. My goal weight is actually 70kgs as that was my constant weight for years prior to my first pregnancy. Fast forward 7 years and I now have 5 children and I am now, wait for it ....... 89kgs. Prior to giving birth 5 weeks ago I was 97kgs. So you can see I have a long way to go however I have already started exercising and now the weather has warmed up I am hoping my exercise regime is easier to maintain.

Unlike after my last pregnancy I don’t have the resources; a wonderful bootcamp instructor, an impressive walking partner (who walked with me rain, hail or shine) or the money to invest in my health. However, unlike last time I have more motivation. This time I know I can do it. Last time I was very unsure of my ability to lose weight. I’ve done it before so I know it can be done. I also know it will take time. It took me from January to November to lose my pregnancy weight but I almost did it.

For me, it’s not necessarily about losing weight, it’s about feeling good about myself and setting a great example for my kids, my girls in particular. I was always a very fit person before having children. My Mum set a great example to my siblings and myself and we were always very sporty, in fact my sister and I still hold records in swimming and athletics at our primary school. My own children are very academic and very competitive so when they don’t measure up physically to other children they get disheartened. I want to show them it is ok to not be amazing to start with, or ever but you should give it a ago and that having a healthy lifestyle is one of the most important things in life.

Tomorrow when the weather is a bit better, it’s currently raining and cold, I will get my darling husband to take some photos and measure me. I will also upload these to show you what I’m starting at. Over the next week I’ll post some of my intended strategies. It’s all pretty simple.
So until tomorrow, stay healthy.

4 comments:

Madeline said...

Best of luck achieving your goals!

Barbara said...

way to go for setting some goals like that. It's not easy to do.

Mary Jo said...

I also tell my children it is important to be healthy. And not so much focused on weight.

Good luck!!

Cindy deRosier said...

Best wishes!