Thursday 11 October 2012

10 on the 10th Getting fit post baby


I wrote a blog post here about my desire to get fit and healthy. I didn’t, as I promised I would do, measure myself and post my results here. I will endeavour to find the measuring tape to do that this week. For some reason the measuring tape is not in the sewing box. I might have to bite the bullet and buy a new one. I know measuring myself is a far better way to measure my results than by standing on the scales. More of those measurements later.

Here is my plan to eat well and get fit.
Rules.
1.1.      Have a support person. For me that is actually two people. Firstly Kevin, who will kick me out of bed if necessary or like this week when he smsed my 2nd support person to say I was too sick to exercise (I must have been very sick for him to insist I don’t attend.) and secondly my exercise buddy. She is someone who I know won’t miss our sessions, won’t find an excuse like it’s too cold or the kids have been up all night. She will commit 100% which is why I didn’t want to miss this morning’s walk because I don’t want to break the cycle and cause the commitment to lessen.

2.2 .  Don’t buy treats in the shopping. If it’s not there you can’t eat it. I’m not a bit buyer of food for outside the home so the temptation to eat unhealthily outside the home is rare.

3.3.     Meal plan. Set out meals for a week or two weeks. Only buy for set meals. Not only does this mean you don’t have to think about what to cook it also means you save money because food doesn’t go to waste.

4.4.     Have set meal times. Only eat at these times. Have breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner at the set times and not to snack in between.

5.5.      Drink at least 2 litres of water a day. Drinking water keeps my hunger at bay and doesn't allow me to eat more than I need to.

6.6.     Follow the 4 Ds. These are quit smoking technique which I found very helpful when quitting smoking and I guess the love of food is also an addiction and so helps me quit that need to eat. The 4 Ds are; Deep breath, Delay, Drink water, Do something else.  These are the steps to take if you are feeling like food but know it is only a short time to your set eating time.

7.7.   Plan for naughty days. For me I know that Thursdays will involve yummy food as we have playgroup and the Mums always provide nice food. I also know that during Friday night scrapbooking it is good to eat chocolate or something sweet and yummy. I also know that by totally banning a food group you only seem to crave it more, well I do anyway. I know that by giving myself the freedom to indulge I am more likely to eat well the rest of the time. It also means I can put in more effort during exercise on those days and plan to skip say morning or afternoon tea on those days to make up for it.

8.8.     Commit to an exercise for 2 weeks. It is the hardest to start with but it ALWAYS feels good afterwards. I have found that after 2 weeks you are in the habit of getting up early or leaving the dishes so you can exercise. After that you’ll actually enjoy it and it’ll be part of your life.

9.9.       Make healthy food choices you know you really like to start with. You can always introduce new recipes or less enjoyable foods once the need for sugar or fat has gone from your system. Things taste better once they are out of your system and you don’t depend on them so much.

1.10.   Have attainable goals. Don’t think I’m going to lose 1 kg a week if you know you realistically can’t. I know for me, being a breastfeeding mother, it is not something that is recommended. Similarly don’t think you can eat a salad for dinner every night if you know your kids are going to fight you all the way. Make choices which are family friendly and are realistic.

TThese are the steps I’m planning on taking to take control of my health. What do you do? What else could I incorporate to improve my strategy?

1 comment:

scrappymo! said...

I am always more successful when I do aquafit at the gym. My neighbour has used the babysitting service and they are very reasonable.
Prior to the accident I use to walk with my husband for an hour after dinner. There were so many families that would come for maybe 30 minutes. Husband would push the pram and Mom would hoof it around the rubberized track. Stopping to check on baby if she eventually passed and then caught up with him. Kids ran ahead playing or sat in the inner field of the track reading or playing tag. Our track is fenced in so the children are safe as they play.
As we watched the families my DH would always say...those kids will sleep well tonight!